Author Topic: 52" chau tam tam arriving wednesday...  (Read 685 times)

PipeGong

52" chau tam tam arriving wednesday...
« on: May 28, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
supposed to be here by end if day, wednesday!   

JohnLRice

Re: 52" chau tam tam arriving wednesday...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »
 :o WOW, awesome!!!  8)

If you got it from a dealer, who was it and how much is the shipping weight?
Percussionist, Synthesist, Recording Engineer, Photographer, Videographer, Eater Of Tasty Foods
I own about 30 gongs - 6" to 44"

PipeGong

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »
hi john!  my wife commisioned it directly through a factory in Dongguan, China.  i spoke with the builder, the one who directs the hammers of the workers, on my personal preferences for meditation and healing sounds and he was very accommodating, knowledgeable and excited to be working with me?   my contact there is steven gao...  mk gong factory...  i believe it was listed as 114 lbs... or close to 52kg?

JohnLRice

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:25:59 AM »
Wow, that's great! I never considered trying to contact an Asian gong maker directly since I'd have no idea where to start and I don't speak the language etc.

The shipping weight on my 44" chau from Steve Weiss was 133 pounds and over 70 pounds of that was the shipping crate so maybe yours is packaged with less heavy materials?
Percussionist, Synthesist, Recording Engineer, Photographer, Videographer, Eater Of Tasty Foods

PipeGong

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:41 AM »
according to the shipping company it should be here by end of day tomorrow... so we shall see!

JohnLRice

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
Did ya get it?  :D

PipeGong

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
yes! sorry, life has been hectic...   massive is the word that comes to mind. 115lbs, (52k),  130 cm, and i dont believe it will fit into the prius any time soon. 
so far ive found a need to modify my approach as the more gentle the touch, the more variety in response...   interestingly enough, i have found deeper tones and and incredible array of pitches and chords with two smaller mallets that came with her. originally i used these mallets but soon went with what i know from my other gongs and tried my larger paiste and chalkin mallets.   after a day or two exploring with these, i started with friction tools and i picked up one of the small, supplied mallets to warm up...  the slightest touch just off center produced a low, deep tone with a synchopated, "distorted silence" echo that put me in a deep meditative state in very short order!   i put down the flumie and began exploring with the original mallets with the absolute lightest of touches and the magic carpet ride began!   i figured these would make good rollers... too light, nice and soft... not zero impact soft, but close... man, did i ever get schooled!     ok, still being schooled, and the teacher beckons!   time to shake things up a little. 

PipeGong

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
side note...
for years ive lived with almost constant lower back muscle spasms. permanent damage resulting from saving a patient during a fall that would have been life threatening in her condition. if i stay in motion its good, but sitting too long, or standing in one position too long causes difficulties.  three days ago i was sitting at the gongs, we had been in lowest tones for a while and i turned and reached for a bowl expecting the familiar catch and twinge and found it oddly absent altogether. i stopped and turned further... and again!   and to my right!   i stood up and dug my thumbs into...  nothing...  the always present lateral mass across my lower spine and hips was and still is graciously absent!  thats what i call good vibrations! 
om shanti

Paul Ford

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 05:50:14 AM »
yes! sorry, life has been hectic...   massive is the word that comes to mind. 115lbs, (52k),  130 cm, and i dont believe it will fit into the prius any time soon. 

Show us a picture when you manage to load this into the Prius!  ;D

JohnLRice

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »
Excellent PipeGong! No problem with the response time, I was just starting to worry that you and your wife might have gotten trapped underneath it when trying to move it or something! ;-)

Side Note: This may be a well known technique but I've found with my "little" 44 inch :D chau that the deepest hammer dents can generate some very focused tones. If I prime it a little with a large mallet and then use a friction mallet to make many short strokes (typically 5 to 20) in the dent area I can get a high pitched resonance going, sometimes sounding like PA feedback or similar. I'll try to make a decent demo video of this at some point. Try it with your 52", I bet it has MANY secret sounds hiding within it just waiting to be coaxed out! 

PipeGong

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
Excellent PipeGong! No problem with the response time, I was just starting to worry that you and your wife might have gotten trapped underneath it when trying to move it or something! ;-)

Side Note: This may be a well known technique but I've found with my "little" 44 inch :D chau that the deepest hammer dents can generate some very focused tones. If I prime it a little with a large mallet and then use a friction mallet to make many short strokes (typically 5 to 20) in the dent area I can get a high pitched resonance going, sometimes sounding like PA feedback or similar. I'll try to make a decent demo video of this at some point. Try it with your 52", I bet it has MANY secret sounds hiding within it just waiting to be coaxed out!
haha! yes, it is heavy, but my wife is pretty tough.    ; )   
first, wth me, please never hesitate sharing techniques that you feel comfortable doing so.  all of us can use reminders at times, i feel i easily get lost sometimes exploring unusual techniques and get into a hurry, skipping lightly over that which i might find more rewarding when giving proper attention.  i love the deeper dents, and in this 52", ive found " channels" ...     areas that spiral out somewhat, away from the center node, and following these " canyons" with light mallets, can produce cascades of changing pitches and set up different chords.  the friction tools are insane on this!  i make most of my own. ive found subtle, but tangible tonal variances in handle materials, construction and length, weight and density of the head, pressure, flex on handles, angle of engagement on the others but this is a new experience in sensitivity. you probably already know, but try priming with lighter mallets, or two mallets, contacting in different places, timings...   im averaging about two hours per day in front of this one right now. the more i look, the more i find.  and little 44?   my little 46 is my hands down favorite,  we've been together the longest and she still tells me secrets... 

PipeGong

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »

Show us a picture when you manage to load this into the Prius!  ;D
paul,?   ive a funny feeling that any pics of her will be taken long before she would ever make it inside the car... roof rack?  too much like a frisbee...   :D