Author Topic: My Humble Gong Wall  (Read 246 times)

JohnLRice

My Humble Gong Wall
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:58:36 AM »
Phase 1 complete!  :)

So after many years of deciding how to hang a majority of my gongs in my little studio I finally decided about a year ago to make a big pipe structure where my big  modular synth used to sit and I've finally committed to actually doing it!  ;D

The main part is done and supports the 44" chau and 36" wind gongs. The next step will be to make the two movable side wings that will hold some of the 20" through 28" gongs. And the final step will be to find places for as many of the 15" and smaller gongs as possible.

Percussionist, Synthesist, Recording Engineer, Photographer, Videographer, Eater Of Tasty Foods
I own about 30 gongs - 6" to 44"

PipeGong

Re: My Humble Gong Wall
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:37:08 AM »
awesome! looks quite sturdy.

JohnLRice

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:03:43 AM »
Thanks PipeGong!  8)

The pipe is 3/4" and there is a total of 24 screws into the floor and wall so I doubt it could ever fall. The jury is still out on those clamps I used to hang the gongs with though. I think they will be OK but I keep thinking there may be something better?
Percussionist, Synthesist, Recording Engineer, Photographer, Videographer, Eater Of Tasty Foods

Paul Ford

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
This could be an option, and im sure a well known stand maker might even sell something of their own in a similar style.
This is for hanging lights from trusswork, with the availability to incorporate a hook into the bottom thread.

JohnLRice

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:37:32 AM »
Thanks Paul! I have some similar clamps, sort of, that I use for my lighting (Manfrotto Super Clamps, see attached pic) and they would be a lot nicer but I have a big pile of the other cheaper truss clamps I'm using for the gongs and I'll finish off the setup with them and see how well they hold up. 

JohnLRice

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
OK, phase 2 is finally done! I have the left and right wings completed and the gongs mounted. I should have gone to bed hours ago but I was so close to finishing I pushed on through.  ;D

The wings open and close smoothly and it's about 20" or or so deep when fully folded closed.